Friday, May 13, 2011

Metaphor: Journal entry, 5/12/11 Lucky 13

Metaphor:  not relationship by analogy but metataxis – the discontinuity is the necessary & generative condition – all attributed associations contingent & mutable

A metaphor retains its generative power for only as long as it resists assimilation as an idiom – which reduces (represses) disjunction to mere syntactic or semantic contradiction

Think fission/fusion – explosive (expulsive) meaning – in the very coupling the meaning is both created and obliterated, uniting opposite poles -- demanding new readings

Blake’s ‘reason’ as the harmonization of opposites resulting in universal negation

Urizon’s rule by weight & measure Eternal year of drought

"The great function of poetry is to give back to us the situations of our dreams."
- Gaston Bachelard

3 comments:

  1. I see you spinning on a bar stool there writing another line with each revolution.

    Can I just say, I had no idea that the reading experience of your chapbooks would involve flicking glitter from under my fingernails, and wiping tears of shock off the wet pages. Thought I knew those poems inside and out.

    Having those copies is better than...I don't know...new lingerie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my day, I could imagine myself playing the role of someone's new lingerie...

    clinging that close

    we grow old. Clinging...and leave taking.. are harder to tell apart

    ReplyDelete